Friday, October 15, 2010

BC - Day 24 of 30

Probably the biggest influence a cartoon has had on my life (aside from the anti-drug PSAs),was Ducktales episode... "Once upon a dime". One of the side lessons was "work smarter not harder". When I ever I write a program to automate some tedious task that line comes to mind. Sometimes I have to remind myself to look for a better way.. as opposed to keep doing whatever it is I'm doing. Scrooge McDuck also taught me in school to put my money in the bank (which probably isn't the best investment strategy, but it sounded good to me as a seven year old).
The audit is coming up for my department. Apperantley one of the items they were going to request was something we don't use and hence.. never bothered saving the daily report or reviewing it. I browsed through large number of related database generated report, until I found appeared to have the same information. Wrote a program to parse the neccisary data from the Extra application into an Excel spreadsheet and save one for each month. Then I wrote another program to determine when the system closed the entries on the excel spreadsheet via our research system and format the information. Tonight, I'll set a second computer up to run program while I handle my 'real' daily job duties on my work computer. From there I can see what my manager says. Maybe.. print the files out so the auditor's can't see they were generated two weeks ago :D
This stuff would take someone a week do do manually. Good thing I'm such a badass coder and good thing I watched Ducktales as a kid.
  • 270 lbs manipulated, only 2 routines with light weights / heavy reps
  • Workout complete (Core Synergistics, I cut it down to 40 mins)
  • Guitar x2
  • Blog w/ pic
  • Improvement x3
  • Innovation x2

Percent w/ time adjustment 60.47% Complete
Avergae 40.47% Complete

I may not be able to get much done the next 2 days and that 4th day.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the cartoon where he is playing in his roomful of money. He was literally swimming around in coins.

    Another funny image is from the Addams Family. Gomez was very bad as a speculator and investor and was constantly losing money. It turns out in one episode we see that his house is actually on top of a giant cavern that is filled with jewelery, coins, and stuff. He goes down there when he needs more money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never got that reference as a kid how he has so much money that he is "swimming in it".

    I don't remember Adam family that well, but I can imagine it.

    ReplyDelete